FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN Standard Awards vs RR Points?
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:14 pm
EWR-6785

WN Standard Awards vs RR Points?

I am trying to decide whether to transfer my Airtran credits to Standard Awards now, or wait until they are automatically converted to RR points in November.

Here's my understanding:

Standard Awards (transfer A+ credits before Nov. 1)
  • -capacity controlled
  • -expire in one year
  • +sometimes available for off-peak flights at last minute when cash/RR points cost would be very high
  • A WN telephone agent told me that if I needed to cancel a Standard Award reservation, the award would still be available for a future flight before the expiration date

RR Points (automatic conversion post Nov. 1)
  • +no capacity control
  • +points don't expire
  • -Redemption very expensive/poor value for last minute flights

Here are the decision principles I have in mind, but would appreciate any feedback from nsx or others:
  1. A+ credits expiring before Nov. 1 should be converted to RR credits before Nov. 1. My wife has a few credits expiring in Oct. Since A+ Elite members can transfer credits, I plan to top off her account with enough credits to create a standard award.
  2. Otherwise I think Standard Awards are useful for last minute travel, but you don't want to create more standard awards than you expect to use within a year.
  3. To the extent I'm not confident of using the awards within a year, I plan to let them transfer into RR points.

Am I missing something? Thanks