FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is BA about to devalue Avios?
View Single Post
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:35 pm
paulwuk

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by MOC991
If they did devalue them, I don't see how it could possibly benefit higher status people who actually are frequent fliers. I guess in the sense that they would be flying anyway so they will still fly and get less benefits for their money. I don't really see the advantage for either side. I wouldn't say it is an unpopular opinion as much as it is illogical for your sake.
They aren't talking about devaluing it for people based near a Ba hub. Just like the increase in value when 97% of Ba flights reduced cost (or stayed the same)

Presumably this allows Ba to be more competitive elsewhere by reducing the money that gets paid to aa for the "free" flights. As a Ba flyer I will presumably benefit from this.

If you're based in the uk, join baec. Based in the us, join aa. Based in japan, join jal.

Ba's revenues from selling miles is tiny compared with selling seats to last minute business flyers. In 2009 passenger Revenue was 7800 million, cargo about 600, and all other revenue 400, of which selling miles is a fraction.