FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amsterdam Renaissance (Netherlands) [Master Thread]
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:01 am
edgewood49

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by JamesEaston
The Ren in Amsterdam is really a horrible choice over the MC. I stayed at the Ren way back in the early 90s before it was even a MC, then stayed a lot at L'Europe at Rembrandtsplein, but in the last years have stayed at the MC every time in AMS (about a dozen times) with the exception of last summer when there was some promo and went back to the Ren after a long absence.

It (the Renaissance) was absolutely awful from start to finish. The front desk staff ranged from indifferent to rude. The lounge by any definition is terrible food wise, but especially when compared to the MC just a km away. This Ren lounge offers almost a non-selection for breakfast whereas the MC has a huge buffet and they'll do cook to order anything you want. The evening at the Ren lounge is the same, virtually nothing, and what they do have is crap . Also the breakfast buffet downstairs at the Ren was one drab choice after another. I wish they hadn't had that promo so I didn't have that experienc

Some say they like the area of the Renaissance. As a boy 20 years ago I did also, but for me personally now, I don't want to be in the noisiest and most congested part of the city steps from Centraal station, Damrak, drugs and "red lights". On the other hand, a hundred meters or so past the crowds of Leidseplein, almost next to a large park and right on a huge canal, but still only a five minute tram ride to/from anywhere in the city, the MC Leidseplein is in a perfect location.

If you are considering staying at these two properties in Amsterdam, there is nothing to consider, the MC at Leidseplein is the only real choice. Better in every possible way.

^^^^^