Old Aug 20, 14, 12:28 am
nsc168

I'm surprised by all the good reviews of carrentals.com here, because I recently had a horrifying experience. I'm refusing to ever deal with carrentals.com again. I found that their website is deliberately misleading in the FAQs, pointing out that if you need to cancel or make changes to your reservation, you just need to go to your account.

Well, when I tried to change my reservation a week before my trip), there was no such "modify reservation" button. I emailed their customer service as they direct you to do. They didn't get back to me until after my trip, and even then, they did not help me try to modify my reservation.

I tried calling carrentals.com and found that they didn't have a customer service number. I called Expedia to try to see if they had a number for carrentals.com. I reached three different representatives, each of whom tried to help me find a number. One of the representatives linked me to rentalcars.com, which is the wrong organization. It appeared no one had a number to reach a real representative. The only working number was one that instructed me to download the carrentals.com app in order to modify my reservation. I did that, then, surprise, no such reservation modification feature.

At the end of my wits (and after spending more than 6 hours total trying to modify my reservation), I ended up contacting my credit card company to challenge the charge and get me a refund instead of trying to change my reservation. My credit card company cheerfully took on the task, and the issue was solved in a few business days. No thanks to carrentals.com though.

I advise everyone to deal with Hotwire instead and not to take the sometimes slightly better rate that carrentals.com can offer.