FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Europcar - Residency do they check?
View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:55 pm
Mountlodge

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Checking Residency

Hi Simmo,

June 2013 purely by accident I was logged into the BA website (US page) and booked a Group F car which worked out at £13.50 a day for 28 days. Had I booked the same car from the UK page it would have been 2.3 times more expensive.

Also, I got given a 3 series BMW, Leather, Navigation, etc. I kept renewing the contract for 11 months (got the car changed after 7 months) until the car hire company called me up to say I was putting too many miles on the car and they wanted it back. I was doing about 4k miles a month.

I knew one day this would come to an end but didn't think I would get 11 months out of it. At not time was I asked to prove my residency (BTW I got the car through AVIS).

I've noticed on the Air Canada website, I can get an Insignia for 33% of the cost if I put my residency down as Canadian rather than UK. No car hire agent has ever questioned my residency before so I'm hoping to book a car from 01st September for 28 days. I don't know if the booking process allows me to do it recognising a UK IP address so will let you know the outcome.

I was going to Lease a car but worked out its cheaper to just rent as all servicing is paid, no mileage restrictions and no insurance to pay (although I pay £38 a month for excess insurance).

And a final perk. I'm now AVIS Presidents club level!!

Mountlodge