FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:36 am
ajca

I'm surprised The Palace Tokyo hasn't got more (any?) mention in this thread. Maybe it is not considered a luxury hotel? If that's the case then I would have to disagree.

I stayed at both The Palace and the Park Hyatt last week and no doubt The Palace blows away the PH on every front.

The Palace's hard product is exquisite. The photos don't even do justice to it. The public areas are stunning, the art is incredible and the rooms are extremely well done and most have great views over the Imperial Palace, the park and the city sky line. Didn't try the F&B much but the hotel's bakery downstairs is as good as anything you would find outside of Paris. Service was flawness if a little mechanistic.

The Park Hyatt on the other hand was really extremely dated, service was nothing to write home about, the 1990s office tower concept not that appealing, and the location I thought doesn't have much to recommend it unless you really have a lot of things to do in Shinjuku.

I haven't stayed at the Tokyo FSM, RC or SL so not in a position to compare them, but no doubt in my mind by the standards of any other city the Palace would be considered exceptional.

I also tried to go for a drink at the Peninsula but was so put off by the scruffy lobby entrance that I ended up going back to the beautiful lobby bar at the Palace. The Pen looked more like a high school cafeteria than a luxury hotel! I couldn't believe it.