FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming TATL trip - Linking PNRs and Award Travel Questions
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:28 pm
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
Me:
Paid ticket DTW-AMS-ZRH; GVA-AMS-DTW
(DL + KLM codeshare)

Wife:
Award ticket DTW-AMS; AMS-DTW (Delta)
Paid ticket: AMS-ZRH; GVA-AMS (KLM)

1. Can I link our PNRs to get her into Elite (not EC) seats with me on the DL DTW-AMS flights?

There's really nothing that can be done other then to call and ask nicely explaining you're on a separate ticket and could they move her next to you.

2. I can probably just check both bags on my PNR to our destination, but would I have any issues with routing bags through if I were to have seperate DL and KLM tickets?

No. Just make sure you have a confirmation code with you for the separate flights. They just need something to prove you're on the flight. You don't collect bags in AMS like you do in the US, they'll be checked straight through. However remember that she may be required to pay checked luggage fees. To Europe you get one free bag. Of course if you booked her in Business then she gets two. You may get a nice ticket agent willing to waive her fee, but since on a separate PNR they're not required to. Also on the return it'd be highl doubtful the KLM/AF handling agent would waive the fee for her. I''d check them under your name, unless of course you'd need to pay for an extra bag. However as an elite you should get at least two, if not three bags free.

3. Are they issues she would run into with clearing customs with separate tickets as such?

Nope, Switzerland while outside the EU is a member to the Schengen Treaty, thus you will clear immigration and customs in Amsterdam, and be treated like a domestic arrival in Zurich. If I need to goto a Schengen country I always try and book AMS as my connecting point. Immigration there is such a non-issue, I've never seen someone with a US passport take more then a minute or two to clear, not including any waiting in line time. I'm doubtful they even do much more then a standard security check on baggage. (Since you don't collect it, I have no idea what level of scrutiny they give the bags)

4. Is it worth paying for EC? I'm leaning toward no - as we are both relatively small/thin - I'm 5'11 she's 5'1

Nope.

5. If I were to rent a car in ZRH and return in GVA do I pay one-way milage fees like here in the US?

Depends on the company you rent from. Some don't allow it at all, others don't care as long as it's the same country, and others charge a huge fee.

6. Are there any better award availability if I were to just call instead of trying to force it on delta.com?

Nope, however the agent may be able to do a quicker/easier search. Normally I'd suggest looking for options through CDG instead of AMS, but since you've paid for another ticket already from AMS that rules out partner AF without a change fee.

Any help/advise is appreciated. Thanks!