FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Executive AA MasterCard [October 2013 - September 2014]
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:06 am
ACVid

2 Citi Executive cards

I got approved for two Citi Exec cards, one with 100k and another for 75k bonus offers.

My Citi Exec card#1 (w/ 100k bonus) first statement posted on 8/7. I had already paid down almost all of the balance before the statement was cut, leaving $550 in balance. The balance included the $450 fee and the statement credit that was also posted. In addition, it is written on the statement that 112,000k miles reported to AA. My SO inadvertently called in and paid the balance of $550 not knowing that I plan to close this card, basically paying off the AF and went and charged another $1200 (she is the AU), which will likely appear in the second statement that will cut on 9/5.
I have already met my spending requirement on the Citi Exec card#2 (w/ 75k bonus). The first statement on this card will cut on 8/20. I plan to pay it down also, leaving $450 in balance.

I was planning on closing the first Citi Exec card and keeping the second one open, since we plan to travel overseas next year in summer and returning in August. That way I would have taken advantage of Admiral Club before calling in for any retention offer next July.

I would like to get your opinions on these questions:
1) is it still possible to cancel the Citi Exec card#1 and get the AF refunded, despite the fact that I have paid the balance (including the AF) AND have an additional balance of $1200 posted after 8/7?

2) Shall I leave the Citi Exec #1 alone and wait for Citi Exec#2 statement to cut and close it once AF is posted?

3) is it advisable to leave exactly $450 in balance (for Citi Exec#2) and pay down the rest, before the statement close on 8/20?