FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Immigration at TLV
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:39 pm
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RMC500
Perhaps my case is out of the norm, but out of several hundred arriving passengers at TLV, my wife and I (both U.S. citizens and professionals), along with three Palestinians, were pulled out of immigration lines. We were tourists, with confirmed hotels and outbound flights, but had the usual suspects in our passports (Yemen, Syria, Lebanon, Sudan, etc.). We were subjected to several hours of amateurish questioning (e.g. we know you are here to contribute money to the PLO, we know you have an arrest record on the FBI database, tell us what your real reason for visiting Israel is, blah, blah, blah). Contact lens were dumped out of cases and lost, film confiscated, hairdryer dismantled and torn up, wife searched head to toe ostensibly for explosives, and luggage contents dumped onto a table. We finally got in, as I am sure you will, but we'll never return. Maybe we caught the TLV version of the TSA on a bad day.
Unfortunately, your case is not out of the norm. You were treated the same as most Arab or Muslim travelers passing through Tel Aviv. The same treatment is also extended to people who visited suspect countries.

Even Donna Shalala, former U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary who is of Lebanese descent, was subjected to a two hours long detention and interrogation at Ben-Gurion Airport.