FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Parker: "To try to change the program (to revenue based) right now would be foolish."
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:06 am
dml105

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
There's been a lot of this kind of discussion on the UA board and I think it's potentially a real problem for both the airlines and its customers. If I were running a company with a lot of travelers, the UA/DL model would lead to me yank decision-making and booking out of individual hands, period. Conflict of interest. You'll fly who's cheapest, and if that's Icelandair via KEF and you earn no miles at all, so be it.
Wow! I had never thought of that being a strong reason to keep mileage-based points, instead of revenue-based points, the latter encouraging corporate fliers to run up the bill. FF programs are supposed to get the employee to steer the employer towards using a particular brand every time. I would not have thought it until you said it that revenue based programs put the employee and employer at odds with each other more than they already are. (Employee probably picks the more expensive flight already when it's on the airline she likes.)