FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CA Zephyr big delays
View Single Post
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:42 pm
crescent2

Originally Posted by Rare
I think you're right. One of the conductors told me that it took them about 15 minutes to figure out that we were going to have to detour, and 4 hours to set it up.

I'd like to stay in Chicago tonight, but the conductor just announced that everyone going to Michigan will be put on a bus or van to our destination. I feel sorry for those going to eastern Mi; they'll be on a bus all night! We're only going about a two-hour drive from Chicago. Still, that means arriving at 2:00-3:00 a.m. at best, which is inconvenient for the person picking us up. Do you know if we can request an overnight in Chicago? I suppose we could if we're willing to pay for it, so I guess the question is will Amtrak pay for it--and will it be worth the wait?

I don't know from personal experience (my recent trip involving four trains went like clockwork), but I've read on another Amtrak forum that whatever is offered when a guaranteed connection is missed is usually "take it or leave it." It couldn't hurt to ask, though. Best of luck to you-
EDIT: Oops, too late! How did it turn out for you?