FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lyft launched in NYC
View Single Post
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:47 am
vasantn
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by gj83
Lyft, a service similar to UberX has launched in the 5 boroughs. Pricing is the same as UberX for the time-being, but they constantly like to undercut each other so you may see the price of both services change.

Usually when a new market launches, any new users of the app will get a certain number of rides for free. I was assured by Lyft corp and by a fellow CLT driver who was up there this weekend that Pioneer (as lyft calls it) is in effect so all new Lyft users in NYC will get a certain number of free rides to use in 2 weeks. (it usually starts at 50 and tapers down to just 2 or 3).

Lyft does use TLC licensed drivers in NYC (the only market to have licensed livery drivers).

I mainly just wanted to let you know about free rides. It's automatic without any promo code required.
Lyft is doing an awful job of introducing its product to NYC. I have been wanting to give them a try but it's always "prime time" for them in Manhattan, even at off times (like 10:30am or 2:30pm). Why would I pay a 75% premium when I can get Uber at a non-surge rate most of the time? There is no incentive for me to check them out.

And I have not yet been offered a free ride.