FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Take the downgrade?
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:02 pm
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by our_kid
Yes c-w-s it was the JFK-CLT sector that blew it - charming my way on to an earlier flight (I blame the FT mini-do on BA001!!). I did actually call AA to check everything was OK the other day, as it did all look OK with the AA record locator even though the US one looked suspect and they said "just fix it at the airport" - I didn't expect the downgrade etc though.
Well of course if you glimpse into the FT archives back to 1764 you will see a good reference to standby re-routes. There are 2 ways of doing them, the right way and the wrong way. The wrong way involves creating a new sector on your ticket and leaving the original sector in place - I guess it's easier to do it that way. So you no-show and ker-pow! out goes your return. You were doubly unlucky when you contacted AA, since it should have stuck out like a sore thumb and they should have reinstated it immediately rather than fob you off. I say that wa AA's fault / incompetence so you should whinge to your heart's content. This is the most basic error in the book.

I'm teetotal but I think I'd be necking back the whisky in your shoes now. I admire your sangfroid, though you have yet to do the flight I guess. Oh well, you'll survive, apparently.