FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX 77W to Australia (confirmed)
View Single Post
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:41 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by rpsandiego
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. I flew from CEB to HKG in June and it was a 777. It looks like they're still doing the same thing this month...

http://www.orbitz.com/flights/from-C...o31700.d29244/
are you being serious or sarcastic? First off, Surabaya gets just about everything from CX. A340, 77W, 772, 773, etc. And yes, CX rotates 77W through to regional destinations like MNL, Surabaya, Taipei, etc. Some of them are part of regular rotation schedules for the long-haul aircraft. This is well understood and is how any airline will try to maximize aircraft utilization hours. But CX also flies its regional 773s and 772s and A340s to Surabaya. It's frankly irrelevant to pricing what product goes down there and hence its a merry-go-round to help a.) CX utilize aircraft and b.) make sure particular frames are in position for preferred long-haul routes. SYD is a different ballgame as a long-haul destination, with a protected product type. Not to mention a 3rd cockpit crew, multi-night stays for crew, etc.

I think where we missed the mark was the cargo hold. Someone on here was speculating maybe CX will cut down 747 freighter service to Oz. I don't know, but cargo was certainly an angle nobody on here - myself included - had considered.

Either way, at least it is 77G and not 77H. Then I would've been completely confused. Out of the two 77W configs, at least 77G makes sense because it doesn't dump J capacity (and introduce F) into the market. I'm not privy to EY yields - someone was saying they were under pressure - but maybe CX knows something about EY demand and/or supply changes that we don't.