FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:24 am
Superguy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by trini19
I agree 100% with you. But at the same time, to become a differentiator such as the DL IFE perk, you need to restructure yourself and make sure you are on solid ground as DL has been for recent years. DL is a market differentiator and UA a market follower we know this. DL is at a point that they can foot the bill (if thats what they are doing) or somehow offer this free service but I am simply saying I dont think UA is at that point. The resturcturing of the FF program is consistent amongst the big airlines so something else needs to be the differentiator, in DL's case it is the IFE. Lets hope UA has something to offer as a differentiator sometime soon.
I think DL's taking the right approach with the IFE - making it a "freemium" service. They're going to provide what seems to be a fairly wide assortment of entertainment, but if you want the better stuff like the newest movies or shows like Game of Thrones, you're going to have to pony up a bit. It's a nice little perk for those that want a more basic offering, but still allows a revenue stream to defray the costs or generate a profit. I think it's a winner for them.

UA is a follower alright, but the problem is they can't follow DL halfway. They can't follow DL's cuts without making the enhancements too. At least DL gives you something on the front end if they take away on the back end. UA MIGHT be able to pull off their cuts if they match to some degree what DL gives.