FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)
Old Jul 29, 14, 5:11 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Silver
Originally Posted by jordyn View Post
It seems like airlines don't ever think about this, but a lot of us who are sometimes premium paid customers are sometimes cheap-o fliers too. Right now AA gets most of my airline spend, including for a decent number of long-haul business class (and occasional first class) tickets because I know that I'm going to have a generally acceptable and often pleasant experience when I'm not flying one of those expensive tickets. If AA continues to make their economy product suck more and more and then significantly dilutes the frequent flier program on top of that, like JDiver I'll just switch to using whichever airline is best for any particular flight. Fortunately these days for not that much more than a coach ticket you can usually buy some sort of premium product that gives you a reasonably tolerable coach experience and both domestic first class and international business is often sold at a reasonable premium over coach so I'd probably end up with similar experiences as when I was an AA Elite, without having to worry about what alliance or frequent flier program to use.
Or a much better F product for not too much more.

I have been EXP for a long time and CK for the last 5 years. I am spoiled. As is Mrs. Wjj who is PL. But I am retiring soon and CK will go by the wayside and I can extend EXP maybe another couple
of years. But after that, all I am is lifetime PL.

We have a second home in SWFL so we fly ORD/RSW a lot. So we alternate buying P fares or discounted coach and use miles to upgrade (no fee for CK). I know, some will ask why bother for a 3 hour flight, but I am 6'4" and Mrs. Wjj is....well spoiled.

Upgrades on this route are iffy even for an EXP. PL (which is what Mrs. Wjj is, is out of the question much of the time...and in a few years, that is all I will be).

So we look at DL. Recently, looking at a flight I needed to take down there, AA cheapest Y was $480 RT. AA P was just under $800. DL discounted F (equivalent to AA P) was $555. Connecting in ATL. Yes, there is a difference between non stop and a connection, but at some point, one just saves the money or miles and flies the competitor. DL has 6 to 8 flights from ATL to RSW daily depending on the time of year, so even if we miss a connection, the wait is not very long.

For purely personal and very selfish reasons, I hope the new program has a forth tier at 75k with lifetime benefits at 3 or even 4mil miles. Lifetime PL after I retire is not looking so good based on where I would be flying.