FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China Eastern Business DXB-KMG-PVG July 2014
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 am
arlflyer

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
Whilst I think we have to accept that the hard product offered by Chinese carriers may be a generation or two away from providing a real premium experience, I am still astounded by the pathetic soft product provided. Given that the ticket prices of the likes of MU and CA are hardly competitive, the F&B service provided is just galling.

I remember flying AG a couple of years ago, and whilst the hard product gave an authentic experience of what flying must have been like in the 1970's, F&B service and general attention for detail on board made it one of my most memorable flights ever.

It seems that the MU 'offering' is slightly above CA who's meals are usually unidentifiable and inedible. The whole no menu thing and just the standard verbal offering of 'chicken or beef' seems to be the norm along with an extensive drinks menu of water or warm orange juice pre take off. Abysmal.

Thank you for the nice report anyway. It will be good to give my head a wobble whenever I get tempted by an 'okish' fair to fly MU in future!
Not sure what you mean by the prices being "hardly competitive" - for dates searched in ITA the route written about by the OP this fare was about 50% of the fare on more mainstream carriers.

I think it's about setting your expectations. No this isn't going to go head to head with SQ J or whatever, but if you think of it as a couple hundred dollars more over Y and you're paying a premium just for that hard product, then there is value to be considered. As someone who is 6'2", I think hard product first and everything else second. For both work and personal travel my only paid option is Y generally, so if it was the only way to get me into a big seat I'd surely consider it.