Old Jul 23, 14, 7:38 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Had a less-than-ideal stay at this property last week. Not "worst ever", but not great.

First night of the stay: the property had no running water from 10PM until about 4AM. None. The front desk did offer bottled water, but they were constantly running out and we had to wait for water to be brought to our room.

Room: the A/C unit in the room was barely functional. Maybe this only matters for a few weeks out of the year in Toronto, but it was so hot that we couldn't really occupy the room at all during the day. Other friends of ours in other rooms had similar situations: I don't think switching rooms would have helped. The rooms are pretty dated, although I generally don't care about this too much.

Breakfast: we had a breakfast-included rate, but on the "no water" day, they closed the main restaurant and had us order Bistro breakfasts. That was actually a tasty breakfast - superior to the buffets we had on subsequent days - but then we had to argue with the front desk to get it taken off our bill as we had already paid for breakfast in our rate. The buffets on later days had no billing issues, but the quality of this buffet was markedly below other standard Marriott/Courtyard buffets I've had in the U.S. and Canada.

Wifi: No issues with the wifi...it was strong both in the room and in common areas.

Concierge/Bellmen: These guys were pretty good, helpful with information about the city and there were always cabs immediately available at the hotel. Staffing here was somewhat above typical CY standard...close to, but not quite, FS Marriott standard.

Pool/hot tub/workout room: There is a very small and ice-cold indoor pool, plus a good-sized hot tub. The workout room had some newer machines and was in pretty good shape.

Not sure I'd go back to this hotel. Felt more like a big Holiday Inn than a Marriott property. Attempts to discuss the water situation and breakfast situation with the manager while at the property were unsuccessful: he was never around. I finally got an email from him a few days later offering me 3000 bonus points for the inconvenience. I haven't yet decided if I'm irritated enough to email back.

Our rate was good, but rates at a couple of other nearby FS Marriotts weren't bad either. Next time, I'll be at one of those hotels.