FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speculation: New American AAdvantage FF Program Features (Discussion)
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:19 am
swm61230

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by Segments
I agree that US averages shorter segments than AA. The argument for why AA only requires 100 segments for top tier vs US requiring 120 (for the same 100,000 mile level) was rationalized on average segment length. (With US having many shorter flights)

Since UA and DL segment requirements for top tier elite aligns closer to US, their average segment length is relevant. If their avg segment length matches to US the argument holds. If it more closely matches or exceeds AA, then the logic fails.
I always thought UA changed the segment amounts needed so that they were not giving 1k benefits to those that only were basically using them as a commuter bus for a short distance so they figured an extra 20 segments made it worth it.

I for one have never ever made it close on segments. I think the closeset I got was in the high 70's and I flew about 160k that year. Otherwise I only ever get about mid 50's.