FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some Observations of AA vs UA by a UA flyer(s)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:33 pm
Col Ronson

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by inpd
Hi All,

I've decided to take the plunge and fly AA for the rest of the year. I got matched to AA Platinum (which is UA Gold). Here I'll document my experiences/observations.

Please don't hijack this thread, I just want to document my experiences not turn it into a pro-UA or anti-UA thread.

Right now its mainly booking observations and they are ...

1) UA.com does a great job at reporting cheap flights. But with AA.com you can easily find cheaper flights using HipMunk, Kayak etc. I mean much cheaper.

2) One world is much smaller than Star Alliance.

3) AA mileage earning for a Platinum (UA Gold) is much better (100% bonus vs 50% bonus) but some One World partners are stingy so you need to be careful, i.e. Air Berlin only offers 25% miles!

4) But AA has the nice policy of pricing things cheaply if you book months out. $900 fares to FRA in the middle of Octoberfest ... from the west coast!
One thing i've noticed is that AA will offer 100% miles on any flight with an AA flight number (so codeshares on any OW airline), while on UA, the opposite is true and you get however many miles the operating carrier decides.