FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:45 am
Ulio

Hi everyone, new to Flyertalk here. Have been flying for a few years, and have been accumulating some miles on Air China and China Southern Airlines. I initially chose these two because I live in China, and didn't really know much about FF programs. Now I will be living in the US, and I am wondering whether it would be a good idea to perhaps switch over to the FF programs of a US airline.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
Reply: I would love to get the occasional free flight between Beijing and the US or flights within the US.

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: Most years it will be less than 25000.

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
Reply:Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:I can choose. I do have the Chase Freedom card, and am planning to apply for the Sapphire Preferred, so maybe a slight preference towards UA, but am flexible if there are valid reasons.

5. Which routes do you fly most often
(e.g., U.S. domestic, transatlantic, intra-Asia)
Reply: Mostly between Beijing and Detroit once a year, with the occasional work/vacation travel within the US.

6. What is your home airport?
(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: DTW.

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
Reply: I have about 47,000 km in Air China PhoenixMiles and 27,000 in China Southern Skypearl. No status.

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
Reply: As mentioned above slight preference towards UA, but can change my mind.

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited by Ulio; Jul 14, 2014 at 3:55 am