FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:27 am
othermike27

Originally Posted by alexmt
So now the question is why on earth did Walmart not upgrade their processing systems to cope with the transaction volume they knew they'd be seeing?
So I've been following this grumbling about the slow transaction processing times at WM checkouts. My experience (all with either self-checkout or the terminal at the pharmacy counter - none yet in a regular checkout lane) has been that the transaction completes within 10 seconds maximum. Complete = from the time I insert the chip card to pay up to the time the terminal tells me to remove the card and take my receipt, including the time I spend interacting with the card reader to acknowledge the transaction amount, etc. Seems OK to me. And, with either a Chase Visa or Amex, I get a text message informing me of the transaction before I leave the checkout lane. So the back-office processing seems quite efficient. I don't see the problem...?

Yes, I had some early issues with chips not being recognized the first time, but once the terminal sees the chip and is happy, the transaction completes promptly. And these recognition problems have not happened the last 3-5 purchases, so maybe that issue is sorted out.