FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unable to choose seats on AA flight.
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:22 pm
pipsi

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
Unable to choose seats on AA flight.

Next week I will travel DUB-JFK on AA metal. It's part of a larger trip booked through US, all other flights on the intinery are on US metal. When I initially made the booking I was assigned a seat, I then had to call back almost immediately to make a small change to the return leg of the journey, when I made this change I was essentially rebooked and wasn't assigned a seat on the AA flight. The agent I spoke to said I needed to contact AA to select my seat as he was unable to do it on his system.

I called AA straight away and the agent I spoke to said she couldn't select a seat for me because the route was pending a change in aircraft so no seats could be assigned (all a bit strange considering I'd initially been assigned a seat and having changed my booking less than half an hour later was suddenly unable to get one). I left it a week or so, called again and this time I was told I could only choose a main cabin extra seat and pay between $60 and $80 for the privilege. I was advised to wait a few days and call again. I called today and this time I was told AA could assign my seat but because I'd booked with US, I would be charged $25 to do this (none of the previous agents had told me this), however, only one seat in the entire cabin was available (other than MCE). With this in mid my logic made me decide if there was only one seat available, why pay when this is likely to be the seat I'll be assigned at check in. The agent also told me that the stories I'd been told by previous agents about changes in aircraft etc were a load of rubbish.

Does the fact that only one seat is showing as available indicate that this will be a full flight? Or have seats been blocked off for some reason for release closer to check in? I've never come across this problem before with AA. I've always been assigned a seat at time of booking , no matter how my AA flights have been booked, whether with Aa, a travel agent or through another OW airline. Also, the seat that was available was 31B, I don't like middle seats and if other options are unlikely to open up I may be persuaded to pay for a MCE window seat rather than risk having a middle seat for a 7 1/2 hour flight.