FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:33 am
mh1361

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by MarkMColo
IMO, we don't have enough data to make any conclusions about CRC. The OP referred to "about a dollar difference". If the OP provided the same kind of transactional data as the recent posters are showing, then perhaps we could reach some conclusions.
Originally Posted by Happy
Not saying this might be the cause of your Costa Rica case.

I notice that ALL banks padded the exchange rates if the transactions were done on the day before weekend or holiday of the Host Country, i.e. the transaction would not be converted to host currency until after the holiday / weekend. This has happened in all the cards and ATM withdrawals we have done in Europe, Asia and Australia.

These days I try to time ATM withdrawals with the holiday / weekends of the host currency country in mind to minimize the exchange loss.
Huh, interesting. Well I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. I'll be in Italy in 2 weeks and will probably use both my arrival and my CSP. And I'm going to CR next year, so hopefully we'll have some more data at that point.