FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Location, Location, Location!
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:50 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wouldn't take kids to the Fullerton Bay. The pool is more of a singles bar scene than a place to swim.

If you really want crowds at all hours, go to Chinatown or Little India, especially on weekends, although about six or months ago there were concerns about the situation in Little India. I don't remember the details, but it was something like the death of an older teen leading to some protests, Singapore-style.

I don't think of Singapore as having areas with a high density of cafes. There's some of this around the new Westin (not otherwise a very good location except for its proximity to satay street (has the hawker center reopened yet?) and on a charming street or two on the eastern edge of Chinatown with restored historic buildings. There are cafes in or near certain museums, notably the art museum, Asian Civilization, and the big one on the history of Singapore. CHIJMES is more bars than what I would call cafes or restaurants, but there are a lot of outdoor seating areas in there next to each other. There are a couple cafes in Raffles Center (Fairmont and Swisotel, but it's basically a modern shopping mall. I think of Clarke Quay (Novotel and IIRC one of the Stamfords, again certainly not luxury) as mostly pubs, not cafes. Much of it isn't such a great atmosphere for children, although the far western end of the river becomes quieter and more residential. (Millennium Copthorne is here but it's not a luxury hotel and the location is inconvenient for almost everything but strolling along the river.)