FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting well positioned for a flight to Hawaii
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:25 pm
klepton

Originally Posted by 84fiero
- From your home airport choices of CVG, DAY or CMH, I gather you're from my neck of the woods (DAY). I'd consider looking at departing and/or arriving to ORD as you search for availability.

Not sure how far you are from any of those airports, but by the time you drive, park, check bags, security, probably some small delay, flight time...it's about the same amount of time as driving to ORD (5 hours from where I live). And most of the connecting flights are regional jets which increases the odds of delays and cancelations.

After getting burned by that a few times, we've often opted to drive. It's even easy enough to drive up after school on a Friday and get a hotel by the airport, fly out Sat morning. And you're more likely to find a non-stop or at most, one-stop, from ORD.

The other aspect is that often I find that the award availability is tight on the connecting flight (due to so few seats to begin with) but better once you get to the hub.

- You can use BA Avios for getting to JFK for the HA flight, 4500 Avios from CMH, if the cost is an issue.

- First class services to/from HI really leave a lot to be desired, frankly I don't feel it's worth the extra cash or miles.

- I gather you're only looking at HNL as your final destination? The other islands would give you more options, albeit without as many non-stops from some airports of course. And I know everyone has their opinions, but Oahu is my least favorite (not to say it's bad per se). In any case, though, any of the other islands will be good.

- With award redemptions, and especially multiple people, the more flexible, the better. If your dates are fixed, and particularly over a holiday week, there will likely be some tradeoffs involved.
I'm actually in Middletown, almost smack dab in between DAY and CVG. I have looked at ORD, as United has a nice non-stop to HNL. I kind of took it out of contention though because it wasn't lie-flat seats for coming back. I had considered driving there Friday night after school like you mentioned and getting a hotel. Honestly the thing holding me back is I don't want the 5 hour drive back after a red eye.

We're actually taking a cruise from Honolulu, which is why I'm only looking to come and go from there. The cruise will hit 3 of the other islands.

Thanks for the insight! I think I'm being talked out of first class, so ORD might become a player again.