View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 14, 1:41 pm
janetdoe

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ranles View Post
Thank you all.

Not much hope offered, and when I called Alaska partner desk I found out your right. Nothing was available on Qantas, Delta, Korean, Cathy or Fiji.
A Prem. Econ was available on Cathay (don't know the product).
Cathay tends to release J and especially F inventory a couple of weeks before the flight. If you have eliminated other options, book Cathay with an overnight stopover in HKG in Premium Economy. That way you will be able to recover if you are forced to fly PE.

Set some alerts in Expert Flyer or check in regularly to see if better seats come up, especially within a month of travel.

Some tips:
1.Be sure and check the classic awards on QF.com. They tend to show availability/routing for Cathay that doesn't necessarily appear when agents search, but agents can book it if you tell them to look for those specific flights.
2. Don't search from SAN; search from the CX departure points (I think LAX, SFO, YVR, JFK, ORD)-HKG. You can miss a valid TPAC because AS/AA hasn't released SAN-XXX yet.
3. Search from CX departure points to both HKG and SYD, because you can take a stopover in HKG if you need to. HKG-Australia in J is pretty trivial to get, IME.
4. Search for one seat at a time and be willing to take the risk of splitting up. If you see one seat become available, chances are another one will come up later, but almost never will two seats show up at the same time.

CX has two seats in F LAX-HKG on March 2. Two seats in J from HKG-SFO on March 25. You will enjoy CX F as much as the cruise.