FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:48 pm
Majuki

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
It'd be kinda awesome if Chase branches had the ability to add a PIN to any of their credit cards, like Australian banks seem to have been doing during their PIN migration.
Isn't this just a simple rewrite of the CVM on the card? I think that it would be the way they'd go about assigning PINs if you're near a Chase branch. The difference in Australia is that the Big Four (ANZ, Westpac, NAB, and Commonwealth Bank) have representation almost in every city in the country. The difference in the US is that you don't have a single bank with a retail presence in all 50 states. Even look at Citibank, Chase, Wells Fargo, and Bank of America. Outside of California, NYC, Las Vegas, Texas, and Chicago, you don't have an option of going into a branch to get your card updated.

I might wait a month or so, but I will eventually call to get the EMV Freedom. I don't use my Freedom card outside of the category bonuses in the US, so there is not an immediate need to get the EMV version.