FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Eurostar crew member incident-what would've happened on BA
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:07 am
SCSA

Programs: BAEC
Eurostar crew member incident-what would've happened on BA

I apologise for going slightly OT, but I am curious to know how BA would've handled this (and it brought to mind the recent seat swapping thread)

The other day I traveled from Brussels to St Pancras in Eurostar's Standard Premier. It wasn't much more than standard and decided the meal and improved comfort were worth it.

They wouldn't allow me to change my seat assignment before the train left, and unfortunately I was sat at a table seat with someone directly across from me. Being tall, the Eurostar table seats are pretty uncomfortable for me because I have to sit straight up to avoid playing footsie with the other person.

there were several empty seats in the carriage, but when I asked if I could move the French crew member angrily told me those seats were reserved for passengers embarking at Lille (not sure why they get better seats). Not appreciating the lecture, I moved anyway. I planned to return to my assigned seat at Lille and see what happened after that.

When serving the meal the crew member told me "I TOLD YOU YOU CAN NOT SIT THERE" She then said she wouldn't serve me my meal until I moved. I said I would return to my seat at Lille, and she told me that I would not eat if I didn't move. I asked why and was told "It is not our fault if passengers won't listen as they're told."

At this point I had enough and asked to speak to the train manager. I told him I would sit anywhere but that this woman was not to address me the rest of the journey. The manager was sympathetic and moved me to a single seat in the Business carriage, where I was brought my standard premier meal.

I don't take an aggressive tone when making requests, but the crew member's attitude really put me on the defensive. I was fine with the resolution and didn't pursue the matter with Eurostar any further, but the whole thing was very embarrassing.

Had it been BA I would've gone straight to customer service upon landing. I'm wondering how they would've addressed it.