FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:06 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by joshwex90
So why do any credit cards offer plaintext online PIN? Seems kinda silly to not encipher a PIN.

As for enciphered offline, if I understand correctly, the card would need to encipher it before sending it to the terminal for confirmation? If so, sounds like the USAA still does that, above what others do.

I also don't get why a plaintext PIN would ever be a CVM than an enciphered one.
I don't believe any support plaintext online PIN. It's a massive security issue if they do.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
So how can it fail signature but still have lower CVMs? Is that only for terminals that don't support signature? You mentioned it would be nice not to fail so as to help where merchants just void signature transactions - how would that help if the terminal would just pop out a slip? Could he press "void" and it would then ask for a PIN?
The other CVMs are supposed to be for terminals that don't support signature, I think.

As for pushing "void", I'm not 100% sure. The prompt for the merchant is something like "is signature valid? Yes/No" in their local language. I would think it would go to PIN next if they push No but it really depends on the terminal and card. I'm tempted to go to the yogurt shop I went to earlier in the thread with my Andrews card (since all of the CVM rules are "apply succeeding") and have the cashier push No to find out.