FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestion: Implement Entry Requirement for Manufactured Spending Forum
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:30 pm
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by wharvey
Question: Should we implement entry requirements such as we have for Coupon Connection and the OMNIs? Have new members understand, participate and contribute to Flyertalk more broadly before they get the "gift" of the Manufacturing Spending forum.
You do raise an interesting view point: are some of these members not here for the travel part of FT at all? If we didn't have a MS forum for them, would they even be here?

Let me suggest you look at it from a different direction. I ran across a blog this week that has its own bulletin board on Manufactured Spend. You need to be approved to post there. Will FT risk losing members to these types of competitors if we have an entry cap of 180 days/180 posts before you can access the MS forum?

I really don't have strong views one way or the other. I do occasionally read the manufactured spend forum and notice a level of snark there that we used to have on the AA forum until the moderators decided, jointly, to eradicate it. Maybe that could be an alternate way to address the issues there before imposing entry requirements.