FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:24 am
othermike27

Originally Posted by CCDeville
My AT&T Universal Card has had an EMV chip since 2013. I am also a Charter Member. My card earns Thank You points with the added "benefit" of 5 points per dollar spent on AT&T products and services. You should be able to log on to online account management and request a replacement card. Your name will appear next to a radio button indicating that this is the card to be replaced. The following verbiage is listed:

"Citi Card with Chip
Your new Citi Card will feature built-in chip technology to provide enhanced security when used at chip-enabled terminals. Learn more about Citi Card with Chip."

For whatever reason, the Citi website shows the card without an EMV chip; however, current cardmembers will receive chipped cards at reissue or very likely before October 2015. I agree it is a pretty lame credit card and I also keep mine for age only.
Well, I suppose that means they intend to keep this anachronism alive for a few more years. I went through the online card replacement procedure you describe, but there was no mention of a chip. I was specifically looking for an EMV option and saw nothing, so I tried to back out of the request, but wound up receiving a new (non-chip) card anyway. A follow-up message to Citi confirmed that EMV was not available for that card. I think this must have been mid-late 2012, so perhaps things have changed. Still a card whose only noteworthy feature is no AF, unless you like the AT&T death-star logo.