FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:43 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Here's the answer I finally got from USAA and I don't think a lot of people here are going to like it.

As of 25 April (that was the date mentioned), a business decision was made to change cvm priority to chip and signature on their world mastercard because...well there is no real because other than it was a business decision. The person, very polite I must say and I appreciate her efforts, said it had to do with the fact that in the USA (just as I supposed), chip and signature will be the predominant verification method and that mastercard wants it that way. She had no answer as to why my updated pin did not work in the kiosk at CDG.

I think we can all agree at this point that our transition to emv, at least for the time being in the USA, will be to chip and signature. At this point, I don't really think any bank will be bucking the trend. Other than UNFCU, there will be no (well DC but will they ever take new applications?) true chip and pin card in the USA. The questions remain just how much inconvenience might be caused at pos terminals where merchants are adamant they need a pin or at unpersonneled kiosks.

Over and out.
PIN may eventually come, it's just that having to learn two things at once is a pain (plus as mentioned above, the "business decision" is that there's not enough lost/stolen card fraud to justify it). Besides, BoA wouldn't have bothered with online PIN at any priority if PIN was never an option on their roadmap.

Like when I was showing the yogurt shop owner/cashier how to run an EMV card. I can imagine how much more of a learning curve it would have been for her had my CSP had PIN as first priority. I didn't mention it earlier, but she accidentally voided the transaction by pushing "no" to the signature valid prompt. There's going to be a lot more things like that happening at other vendors for the initial EMV rollout, guaranteed.