FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Newport Beach Aerial Video By Drone - I want one!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:34 pm
ND Sol

Originally Posted by piper28
The FAA actually lost a court case earlier this year over whether they have the right to regulate this, so at the moment, it *may* (or may not) be legal to operate them commercially. It was kinda interesting, because that ruling happened not too long before the Toledo Expo (a fairly big trade show in the RC world), and suddenly there were a number of companies that were definitely advertising commercial services there.
The "court case" was before an Administrative Law Judge because the FAA had levied a fine against the drone operator (similar to when the TSA levies a fine for a violation by a passenger). The FAA has appealed the decision (which is currently stayed from my reading) to the NTSB. So right now, it is not and has not been in what many think of as a court. It is all within an executive agency and not within the judicial branch.

Texas EquuSearch has filed a petition with the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit seeking to overturn a February order by the FAA to stop using drones in its search and rescue missions. I don't know where that stands currently.

The FAA is required to issue regulations next year related to this, but I don't know what tack they will take.