FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2014 - Date)
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:48 am
OskiBear

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
How timely this thread popped to the top when I've just contemplated taking this for the first time. I'd appreciate a bit of advice:

I will be flying over Christmas to Japan. However, on an award ticket, I'm SAN-NRT and then NRT-LAX. My options are either to do a one-way rental down to San Diego or take the Amtrak. Either way, I'm planning on spending the night before.

However, I'm more curious about the return.

My options would be:

1. Rent 1-way from LAX (leaving my car in long-term parking)
2. Park at Union Station and take Amtrak. On the return, take Flyaway to Union Station
3. Park at Union Station and take Amtrak. On the return, take car service to Union Station.

Option 1 is probably quickest but is the priciest
Option 2 & 3 are about the same except for the difference between a shuttle cost and the Flyaway cost. Union station parking at $6/day (is that still correct?) is a bargain and it has good freeway access for me to get to work.

I'd really appreciate insight on how expeditious Flyaway is from LAX. If it doesn't make sense, I'll just go with the car service. I kind of prefer taking the train down versus driving to LAX and renting a car.