FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:02 am
kayanco

Originally Posted by othermike27
I can't answer your question about amount, but if you look at the CVM sequence, I interpret it to mean that if the terminal doesn't support offline PIN but does support signature verification, you would be asked for a signature before the card would accept online PIN.

The whole issue is confusing to me - all I really want is a card that works everywhere I want it to, reliably and securely. I really don't care a rat's @$$ about what technology is used to deliver that.

If US merchants and card issuers are worried about the American consumer's inability to remember a bunch of PINs and to always dip instead of swipe, what do they think we will do with a card that asks for a PIN one time, and a signature the next? Dip your card, then wait with the merchant to see what happens - PIN or signature, or terminal hang, or...whatever. That's one reason I dumped my AFCU card in favor of USAA. But if USAA has switched CVM sequence on their renewal cards as jeffjaguar's experience suggests...<grrrr>...
Yesterday I asked USAA if their card does online or offline. Here is the response I received from USAA:

"The Chip and PIN card can use either an online or offline terminal for verification. As an example of an online terminal, but not limited to would be an ATM machine that connects to USAA. And an example of an offline terminal, again not limited to would be a parking lot that is not attended.

In addition, whether the transaction is processed through an online terminal or an offline terminal is based on what the merchant is using. So, if you have a concern as to which is being used, you may wish to consult directly with the merchant."