FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spring Break in Australia & Russia (CX F, SQ Suites, QF A380 F, BA F, LH F & OZ F)
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:45 pm
tng11

The Final Word

Yay, I've done it! Finishing this report in a week was a lot faster than I had expected. It was a lot easier this time than the first report, and I can say I actually enjoy writing TRs as a memory of my trips past.

In many ways, this itinerary was absolutely crazy. Flying so many miles around the world, almost entirely in First Class was a pipedream for me. This trip really rekindled a love of flying for myself, as in the past I always viewed it as a means to an end and getting to a destination.

After having tried so many First reports, I think I can come up with a list of priorities by ranking for me in any First product.

1. Hard product (comfortable seat and bed)
2. Seamless and hassle free ground service
3. Responsive onboard service
4. Food and beverage

Even though a lot of FT trip reports report a lot on the food and beverage of premium products, it is decidedly the least important factor in my airline choices moving forward. The best food on a plane is often a good or average meal on the ground, and not worth making extra connections for, or having to accept horrible timings. What matters most is making the entire travel experience seamless and relaxing.

I will continue to do crazy routings for the sake of trying new products though.

As for a favourite product, it's really hard to pick. It'll largely depend on where I want to travel to/from. There were no genuinely "bad" products (aside from BA, which is a definite second-tier product compared to the rest), but there were also "gooder" products, just like how there are "gooder" seats in every cabin (e.g. you'd be crazy to complain about being seated in 4A in SQ Suites, but it's definitely the "least good" seat in that cabin.) But overall, SQ was the most memorable and flawless experience I've ever had on any aircraft, while QF gets high praise from me for its lounge alone and very solid hard product onboard.

Hope everyone enjoyed reading the ramblings of a infrequent flyer/points maximizing law student and that it helps you in making product choices in the future!

Next report: EVA Royal Laurel Class, 2 weeks in Japan with Peach and a JR Rail Pass and Lufthansa A380 First Class

Last edited by tng11; Jun 23, 2014 at 2:51 pm