FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2014)
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:46 am
pyxis

Programs: QFF P1 / OW EMERALD, VA PLATINUM, ETIHAD GUEST GOLD, IC RA, HH DIAMOND
InterContinental Muscat

InterContinental Muscat

What is your Priority Club status?
Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Good stay, hotel is old, as most online reviews will state. It could do with a refresh. Sadly the leisure pool was closed for 'emergency repairs', so the only pool open was the lap pool, and often overcrowded with no lounges available. A little disappointing when it was 50+ degrees! The hotel offers direct beach access, but the dark sand is unbearable - at high temperatures, it will literally burn your feet.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest available - Mountain View. Booked through third party website as the rate was essentially 1/3 of the IC website. Emailed ahead, was advised all RA benefits would be applicable, but no points earned for the stay - which was totally fine with me! Was advised by email that the upgrade would be to a suite with Club Access. Upon arrival, no suites were available until the following day - but we elected to remain in a Club Room for the entire stay, rather than unpacking / repacking to move.

How are the rooms?
Rooms are dated, furnishings are old, but clean. The room had a small balcony overlooking the ocean - view was nice, but beware - if you step on to the balcony and close the door, you cannot open it from the outside - make sure there is someone inside who can let you in! The hotel must have experienced a few people 'locked out', as they advised me of this when I checked in, ha ha.

How is the exec. lounge?
Excellent and friendly service in the lounge, with adequate offerings in the afternoon / evening. We had breakfast in the main restaurant downstairs from the Lobby - large spread, great service.

What was your welcome gift?
Very generous welcome amenities - a box of Omani stuffed dates, a full sized bottle of red wine and a tray of assorted sandwiches.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes, a large fruit bowl.

What was good and what was bad?

Good
- Reception, door staff and Club Lounge service was excellent

Bad
- Location is close to the Opera building, and apart from a small shopping complex, there isn't much in walking distance - you'll need to catch taxis. A word of advice - taxis are not cheap here. Rates are offered upfront, no meters. We learned (the hard way) that the best thing with taxis is to take them from A to B, and if they offer to wait ("free of charge"), this is only worthwhile if you are returning to your point of origin, i.e. back to the hotel. If you want to go from A - B - C - A etc, I actually could not work out their logic - but it was almost like they were charging the return rate for each stop made, rather than one way journeys between each stop.... Not sure if we were unlucky, but negotiate and make it clear before you start your trip!

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
For what we paid, it was great value.

Would you return?
Now I've 'seen' Muscat, if I was to return - I'd be looking for a bit of a relaxing 'lounge by the pool' escape, so would probably look to the upmarket resorts rather than this property to be honest.