FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spring Break in Australia & Russia (CX F, SQ Suites, QF A380 F, BA F, LH F & OZ F)
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:37 pm
tng11

Singapore Airlines Suites Singapore to Sydney: A Truly Suite(Sweet) Time

Singapore Airlines Flight 221
Singapore to Sydney
Airbus A380-800
April 14, 2014
Scheduled: 20:15-05:55+1
Actual: 21:06-06:18+1
Seat: 3A/3C+3D (Suites)
Load: 3/12

echa2949 did a better job that I will on reporting this flight here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...s-sin-syd.html

What strikes me is that our experiences were eerily identical - from having the double bed, to our choices of dessert.

Boarding got off to a late start, and I was a little surprised that Suites and Business Class passengers were called together. Never mind though, I claimed my position as #1 to board.

2014-04-14 19.27.44 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Both the chief steward and leading stewardess were waiting by door, seemingly waiting for my arrival. As I walked down the gate, they both stepped out and were already extending their greetings - and brought me to my seat. Although for a quick second, the chief steward has to do a double take with my boarding pass as I did a last minute seat change.

The view from 3C:

2014-04-14 19.41.02 by jurastudent, on Flickr

How cute: a little card signed by the person who cleaned the Suite.

2014-04-14 19.41.23 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Before I had a chance to settle in, the chief steward came over and asked if I would like to move back to 3A as today's loads were light. It was at this point where I took the chance to pop the question...

That is, whether I could have the double bed. "Sure, no problem" he said.

The chief stewardess made multiple rounds back to me as I was settling down in 3A.

First: Dom or Krug? If you've read my reports, there is only one choice. She never let my glass get close to empty while on the ground.

2014-04-14 21.20.02 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Next: tonight's menu bound in leather (I'm a big deal because I have many leather bound menus! ) But, I have already BTCed the Kyo-Kaiseki. I informed her that I would like to save that as my breakfast and order from the menu. She said that was fine, but that she had to make sure the other passengers got their choices before I got mine. No problem.

2014-04-14 21.28.06 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Looked like there were a few pretty good choices. It guilts me to think of the food wastage on these flights. Thankfully, I was doing my part of having BTCed (so they cater less apparently) and ordering from the regular menu! ^

2014-04-14 21.28.18 by jurastudent, on Flickr

There was only one drink I needed from this menu:

2014-04-14 21.29.03 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Another round: Bose headphones.

2014-04-13 19.37.00 by jurastudent, on Flickr

And another round: Givenchy pyjamas and slippers. These were my favourite pair of pyjamas until after I put them in the wash (and they shrunk a little too much )

2014-04-14 20.15.12 by jurastudent, on Flickr

More views of the cabin from 3A:

IMG_5422 by jurastudent, on Flickr

IMG_5423 by jurastudent, on Flickr

An unintentional shot of fellow FTer echa2949:

IMG_5421 by jurastudent, on Flickr

While we sat on the ground, I had a total of 4 crew members introduce themselves to me by first name. I made small talk with all of them, many of them amazed that I was taking such a long route to get to Australia from Canada. Having noticed the little German flag on the chief steward's pin - I greeted him in German to his surprise. The leading stewardess promised to come back to me later and give me some tips on what to do in Sydney and Melbourne once I told her my itinerary.

Despite there being 2 other passengers, it felt like I had this crew all to myself. It was almost too over the top for me, but it was also insanely awesome on the other hand. ^

The pilot informed us that it would be a short flight to Sydney today, at under 7 hours, so we were going to be sitting on the ground for a little while to meet SYD curfew requirements.

We were going to be delayed even more according to the pilot. What was supposed to be a 10 minute delay eventually turned into more than 40 minutes. What was incredible (and probably way OTT) was the cabin crew apologized to me repeatedly, as if I had just been diagnosed with a terminal illness and only had a day to live.

I just kept saying "that's okay" and smirked as I sipped on the Krug and watched an episode of Bear Grylls.

Lights were dimmed, and we're off (albeit after another delay due to a runway change.) I love that very gentle humming of the RR A380 engines on takeoff.

Takeoff Video

Next up: A dinner of Extravagance

Last edited by tng11; Jun 18, 2014 at 9:40 pm