FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Spring Break in Australia & Russia (CX F, SQ Suites, QF A380 F, BA F, LH F & OZ F)
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:39 am
tng11

Singapore Airlines Flight 865
Hong Kong to Singapore
Airbus A380-800
April 13, 2014
Scheduled: 18:50-22:50
Actual: 19:33-22:54
Seat: 4A (Suites)
Load: 10/12

Ahh, the beautiful whale that'll be taking me to Singapore today.

2014-04-13 18.07.13 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Thankfully, I had a golden ticket. I felt like Charlie in the Chocolate Factory.

2014-04-13 18.00.00 by jurastudent, on Flickr

I wanted to be first on the plane this time too. And after all preboards were done (and a few profuse apologies from the gate agents), I frolicked down the jetway to my suite.

2014-04-13 18.07.43 by jurastudent, on Flickr

After only seeing the Suites in pictures, my dream had finally come true. And it was better than expected. The chair was massive (though as many have said, it looks and feels like a dentist chair )

IMG_5362 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Look at all that room! (Too bad the seat is actually quite far away from the window.)

2014-04-13 18.17.06 by jurastudent, on Flickr

The jetbridge was covering my windows. I guess 4A is truly where the "sun don't shine. (2A and 3A were empty - I had tried to get them at the check-in earlier, but was told they were blocked as the tables were broken.)

IMG_5366 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Yes, I would like some Krug. (The "Krug or Dom?" question brought a grin to my face.)

IMG_5360 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Can't imagine walking down this hallway in a Krug-induced stupor.

IMG_5367 by jurastudent, on Flickr

The seat controls and TV.

2014-04-13 18.51.13 by jurastudent, on Flickr

IMG_5359 by jurastudent, on Flickr

All I was taking pictures like a kid in Disneyland (this beats Disneyland hands down), I was offered multiple rounds of Krug and Dom, newspapers and magazines. I loved how everyone was addressing me by name, and the leading stewardess took her time explaining to me the features of the Suite as I proudly proclaimed I was a Suites virgin.

I also took the opportunity to taste both Krug and the DP 2004 on the ground (I was offered the chance by the IFS.) I liked the former better, and decided to stick with it for the rest of the flight. Even before we had taken off, I had already lost count of how many glasses I had. I knew this flight was gonna be dope.

I was presented with the menu as follows:

2014-04-13 19.48.47 by jurastudent, on Flickr

The leading stewardess confirmed my BTC order of Lobster Thermidor as she gave me the menu. On seeing the Chinese menu (apparently similar to a kaiseki menu), I requested a change to that, as well as the Balik salmon appetizer from the Western menu. After taking everyone else's order, she okayed my order for the appetizer, and I was happy.

Our flight time to Singapore was just going to be a smidge over 3 hours and 15 minutes. Heavy traffic in HKG though meant that we were going to be on the ground for a while. Oh the horror.

video of takeoff to be uploaded

Suite 4A was honestly not all that bad. I could barely hear the galley noise during the meal service (likely as I was a little buzzed), and it was one of the only Suites where the middle rows couldn't see into your Suite.

IMG_5375 by jurastudent, on Flickr

IMG_5369 by jurastudent, on Flickr

Once airborne, the crew wasted no time in getting the beverages rolling.

Next part: Dinner

Last edited by tng11; Jun 18, 2014 at 7:48 pm