FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Denied boarding because didn't have Visa for China, though only connecting there.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:18 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by spin88
Anticipating every mistake by United exceeds the ability of even the most seasoned traveler. But I am sure that you never get messed over by anyone, because you are perfect, right? Geeze.
Regarding the visa, the only "proof" OP had was the TA's word about it. If I was in the OP shoes, when UA agent refused me because I didn't have a visa, I would use my phone to check online at the counter to make sure who was wrong - my TA or the UA agent.

And I always try to check everything possible because I was messed before. It doesn't assure I won't have problems, but it helps to minimize them.

Originally Posted by exerda
Wow, can't believe the continual berating of first-time posters for "you should have been prepared" or "you should have known the rules." Hey, UA was 100% in the wrong on this one, with the visa requirements, the law, and everything.
It's about me, right?

I never wrote UA was right. I just wrote he should have prepared himself better for a "one in a lifetime trip" (his words). For me, it is checking everything possible.

His TA was right, but it seems that his TA just told him the visa wasn't necessary, with no further explanations. When UA told him he needs a visa, he had nothing to argue with UA personnel, he has only "my TA told me I don't need it". And it's why I asked why he didn't use his phone to check online at the counter about the visa requirements. It could help him take the plane.