FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:23 am
hailstorm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I came into this really wanting to like this place and give it a glowing review. But between the room design (especially the sleeping area), and the offputting clash between Andaz hospitality (that I’ve never really experienced, but I’m getting a glimpse of from the foreign staff) and Japanese uber-politeness…I’m just not feeling it with this hotel yet.

I have no complaints about the friendliness and earnest feelings of the staff, which are genuine. But this blend of east and west is just not working. Speaking in the highest level of politeness (さようでございます and such) works to soothe and relax the customer of a Japanese ryokan, but in a Western-style hotel, it just produces an uncomfortable feeling. I feel totally on edge when I’m walking through the hotel, and the insane asylum pitch-white walls of the bedroom make me feel totally on edge when I’m in my room.

The pool and spa are gorgeous, and a welcome oasis in this hotel. Outside of that area, there is nowhere to unwind. There is nowhere to relax. Contrary to the supposed mission of Andaz, this is the most uncomfortable that any Hyatt hotel has ever made me feel.