FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Be careful when redeeming credits
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:53 am
HongKonger
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by FireFlyer
Yesterday, I set out to book a trip SAN-IAD. I first checked options on Google Flights, as I often do, then proceeded with booking on Delta.com. Just before I finished the booking, I remembered that I had credits available in my "wallet" from a changed itinerary earlier this year. You can't use credits at the end of a normal booking process, where you would normally enter payment method. Instead, if you're using credits, you have to start on your credit/voucher page, indicate which credit you want to use, then proceed from there.

When I went through the entire process again, starting at the credits page, I ended up with only half the choices of flights I had on a regular booking page and the best price, even after application of the credits, was more than double the price I had come up with a straight booking. I checked the terms and conditions for the credits and couldn't find any reason for such a huge discrepancy.

I immediately picked up the phone and called Delta - got someone on the DM line in SLC - explained the situation - she pulled up the itinerary and flight and cost options - apologized that there are known problems with application of credits - and applied my credits to the original itinerary and cost that I had found at the outset.

At the end of the day, I was able to use the credits on an itinerary and for a cost that was appropriate. However, if I had never checked in advance and if I had initially gone in through the credits page, I would never have known there was a problem and ended up on bad flights for more than twice the cost. Just a word of caution for anyone attempting to use credits to book flights: do your homework and understand your options BEFORE you attempt to use the credits.
This is one of DL's many intentional "glitches" by which they dishonestly overcharge the unsophisticated. Additional "glitches" are the "I clicked on purchase and all of a sudden the price went up!" and "When I search by price not all the options show up!" among others. Good for you for using your credits on the tickets you originally intended to purchase.