FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:30 pm
geminidreams

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by pricesquire
FWIW, not looking to redeem points...

While I agree that rates are 1/2 as much at the LM, the StR looks like a good opportunity to double my potential earning balance by the end of my trip.

By acquired taste, you mean ___?
LM is right opposite Patpong market. There are a lot of gogo bars and ping pong touts to deal with but the market is similar to other markets around Bangkok, there are a few bars with live music and a lot of restaurants. It is not as convenient to the BTS but is 10 min walk from Sala Daeng stop which is the next station on from the StR so its actually not very far if you want to visit there. I like to spend 3 or 4 nights there on a trip, the hotel is good and the Plat recognition is excellent. Some here don't like the sleaze aspect on the doorstep but the wife and I like to have a few drinks listening to live music and wander about the market whilst easily being able to slip back to the hotel. Then again I regularly spend 3 - 4 days at most other SPG hotels in Bangkok except for ROS as each area has its own attractions and advantages. I don't go to ROS as the location is inconvenient and the river isn't my thing. I like both the StR and SGS but don't stay often because usually other hotels have much better rates and Im usually stayin 2 - 3 weeks so value for money starts to become important.