FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guide to and Questions Concerning Connecting thru HNL & other Hawai`i airports
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:22 pm
747FC

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by slippahs
Quote:

Originally Posted by stravels

HA was ranked first for on-time arrival for 2014. In my 12+ OGG-HNL flights in the last year I don't think I've ever been delayed.

Just don't cut it too close at the OGG check-in. Unless all in your party have TSA precheck, the security line can take a while. Also, be at the gate at least 15-minutes prior to scheduled departure because HA has been known to close the gate early and be taxiing down the runway at the scheduled departure time (yes, I've missed flights). Enjoy Maui!

+1. No delays usually. Had 40+ segments to OGG in the past year and it's normally smooth sailing. Maybe a few minutes here or there but always within 10-15 mins. The 717 is a pretty reliable aircraft, but I have heard stories (rare) or people experiencing problems.

On the question of PreCheck. You enter your Trusted Traveler number in your HA Reservation online on the itinerary page. When you print out your boarding pass (whether online, at a kiosk, or from an agent), it should say TSA Precheck on top. Then, just find the Precheck lane and you should be good to go.

While OGG typically has no major delays, I have been there several times when there were major delays that disrupted countless flights and thousands of paxs. I try to minimize risk, and if I were on a separate ticket to the Mainland, I would leave time for the unforeseen.