FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Paris, France
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:06 pm
MileageGoblin

Just had a fabulous one year anniversary with the wife in London (2 days) and Paris (9 days). Comments on Marriott stays in Paris:

Renassiance Paris Vendome - 5 nights on points

Booked smallest room. Was told there was no upgrades available. Upon processing check-in the receptionist said she was going to give me the keys to a "Prestige room" for me to see if I wanted that for a 60 Euro/night up charge. I asked why I had to pay that (since it explicitly states an upgrade is free of charge, SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY in the Platinum materials). Anybody know if Vendome has an exception to this rule that allows them to charge for upgrades? I'm aware of the MR points + cash upgrade option (which I choose not to use when booking), but this was ridiculous. Needless to say, I declined to even look at the Prestige room.

The hotel needs a clue on revenue management. Upgrading me to a 600 Euro/night room allows someone off the street to book the 450 Euro/night cheapest room. There really is no cost to the UG. Regardless, wife and I were very happy with the hotel and would go back. Great location, mediocre breakfast (who cares it was free for being PLT), staff mediocre. Room was very small, but its within walking distance to EVERYTHING. We never took the metro from this location.

Renaissance Arc de Triomphe - Cash 1 night

Upgraded to Sky View. Great view of Arc and Eiffel Tower. Great breakfast. Bad = we asked for extra towels and the maid gave us one towel that she must have put under her un-deoderized Parisian armpit.

Marriott Champ Elysees - Walked in, had drink in lobby

No Parisian substance to this hotel. Not a great location as I could see the bellmen having trouble with the traffic on the Champs Elysees. Just a plain vanilla Marriott with convention rooms and no substance.