FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2nd daily UA IAH-NRT? (UA back to 1 flight Jan-31-15, ANA Starting 77W in June 2015)
Old Jun 3, 14, 1:33 pm
UA-NYC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
IAH-NRT doesn't just connect the USA to Japan and beyond; it also connects Asia and South America (assuming that at least one of the IAH flights is timed correctly for those connections).

AA has long flown two daily flights to NRT from its Texas hub at DFW, and there are anecdotal reports that the DFW flights are AA's best-performing flights to Japan. AA's TPAC yield last year was an atrocious 12 cents per mile, far lower than UA or DL, and yet DFW performs well enough to maintain two daily flights. That alone tells me that two daily IAH-NRT flights is probably a wise move for UA.
But we had this discussion already, right? UA has two TYO flights ex-SFO that AA doesn't have, as well as one from DEN, EWR, and IAD. (They're at parity from LAX and ORD).

So two for AA from DFW probably makes sense, given lack of NRT exposure elsewhere, but it's not clear if two from IAH make sense for UA.

All being said, looking at the next two weeks, I've never seen flights basically every single day on other routes that are R9I9 like they are on this new IAH flight.