FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old May 30, 2014, 5:53 am
JEFFJAGUAR

The following is an email I sent off today to USAA.

Change in your World Mastercard Verification

Reference Account: WORLD MASTERCARD #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
About a year ago, I opened this account because it was a true chip and pin card. I used it several times in Europe last year and every time, unlike the other emv chipped cards I have, I was asked for my pin. USAA is one of only three banks in the USA I know of which offered a true chip and pin card.

Yesterday I used a new card I received when I joined the rewards program with this card (and the account number was not changed) and lo and behold I was asked for a signature. Now others who have your emv equipped mastercard have reported they were asked for their pin so Walmart's terminals can process chip and pin transactions.

Upon reading your q&a on your credit card sub web site, it has become apparent to me that you have switched away from true chip and pin and now are a primary chip and signature verification card with chip and pin capabilities. The fact I was able to change my pin on line is indicative that the pin is an online pin and may not work in unpersonneled kiosks. Also there are some merchants in Europe who will not process a chip and signature transaction even if their pos terminals allows it.

My question is why did you do this to us? You were a unique bank with a unique product i.e. a credit card which is truly chip and pin. Please please whoever replies to this, do not insult my inteligence. I know exactly what I'm talking about. This is no longer a true chip and pin card but rather a primary chip and signature card with pin capabilities. For such cards, the customer has no control over what verification method is used. And like I said, there are some merchants in Europe who, despite whatever the mc reguations say, will not process credit card purchases without a pin verification.

You have made your introduction of emv chipped card less valuable than it was when introduced. There has to be a reason why you have chosen to go this path. There is a long long discussion of emv chipped cards on flyer talk and until yesterday, everybody was complimenting USAA for having a unique and good product; necessary to ensure full compatbility with what is going on in the rest of the world. Now you have compromised your card and it may be that because of this, I will be in situations where my card is not honored.

I hope whomever answers this e-mail is fully understanding of what I'm saying and is able to furnish an answer and not deny that the card is no longer a true chip and pin card and explain why you would so foolishly go off in this direction.

A most unsatisfied customer

I would hope anybody else with a USAA mastercard, even if you haven't received an "upgraded" card which is really a downgrade send a similar e-mail. I will, of course, share with the group any response I might get hopefully before I leave; not that it will do me any good.