FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New form of travel insurance might ease the pain
Old May 28, 2014, 10:10 pm
artvandalay

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
This appears to only work for those who subscribe.
My apologies. Berkshire Hathaway has a new travel insurance that reimburses for missed connections and delayed baggage for a $25 flat fee. It was announced in today's WSJ. (Full disclosure: I don't work for Warren Buffett, but I would have benefitted from this insurance in the last 12 months on UA.) Worth exploring, especially for international travelers.

From the article: "For a domestic trip, the insurance costs a flat fee of $25. You can buy it up to an hour before departure, although sales are shut off if weather warnings are issued. If your flight is two hours late, it pays out $50 regardless of the reason (as long as you're not the reason for the delay or war hasn't broken out). The insurance company tracks flights and the money is sent right to your bank account without your having to file a claim. If the airline delays your checked baggage for 12 hours or more, you collect $500. Miss a connection? Collect $500. Two-hour tarmac delay? The AirCare insurance pays out $1,000.

And if you suffer a two-hour tarmac delay and then miss your connecting flight, you collect on both and pocket $1,500."