FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old May 23, 2014, 7:22 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
let's try to agree on our definitions.

Suggestion. A real chip and pin card is one with pin verification as the #1 priority (offline or online doesn't really matter).
Well, I disagree with that already! For those who have no interest in visiting France far beyond Paris, perhaps it doesn't really matter. But since there is at least one country where you can run out of gas without an offline PIN card, I'd say it certainly does matter if you do driving vacations overseas and they could include France.

Now, what really matters, if you're going to go to both France and Brazil (but I'd say in any case), is having a mix of EMV card technologies in your wallet. An offline PIN for where that's needed, a chip & signature for where that's needed, and whatever you prefer (which could be one of those) for most places, would be the ideal.

And, btw, does that mean the WF C&P card mentioned above is "offline", given that they talk about gas pumps in France in the literature that came with the card?